The Honeymoon Cottage, the first home of James Stephen and Sarah Stinson Hogg, will reopen this spring after being closed for more than 10 years. An open house is slated for May 1 from 1-3 p.m.
The cottage, a feature of Gov. Jim Hogg City Park in Quitman, will reopen through the perseverance and sweat equity of a number of local volunteers.
In looking for a community-minded project, Linda Haddock of the Elizabeth Denton English chapter of Daughters of the American Revolution reached out to Quitman Public Library Director Delene Allen. The local DAR and Allen then teamed to renovate and reopen Honeymoon Cottage Museum.
The museum, the first home of James and Sarah Hogg, was built in 1860 at 610 E. Goode St. in Quitman. Jim Hogg, who would become the first native-born Texas governor, purchased the house in 1873. He married Sarah Ann Stinson the following year, and the couple spent the first years of their marriage at the cottage.
In 1946, local Wood County clubs moved the cottage to its current site. In 1952, it was restored by the Hoggs’ daughter, Ima. In recent years, volunteers spent countless hours on restoration, including pest control, a new roof, brick fireplace foundation, electrical wiring, pressure washing and painting.
Last year, the Elizabeth Denton English chapter of DAR received first place in Texas and second in the nation for the Honeymoon Cottage historical preservation project. Haddock noted the volunteers restored the home to how Ima envisioned the life of her parents.
Antiques and other items are being donated to the museum to make the cottage’s décor historically accurate to the Hoggs’ tenure. The Piecemakers Quilters of Quitman recently donated a vintage handmade quilt to the Honeymoon Cottage. It will be on display at the open house.
The cottage is a small two-bedroom with an added back room apartment. In the future, this may become a gift shop or office, Haddock stated.
“I just like the history of Texas and Wood County’s history,” Haddock said.